One of the most important qualities of leadership is the ability to inspire and motivate. When the enthusiasm, expertise, and talents of motivated individuals are combined, you and your team are better equipped to accomplish goals and objectives. Motivated individuals are eager and driven in the work they do. They are inspired to give their best for the company and themselves. They maintain an optimistic outlook and are flexible to any changes in the workplace. As a leader, you play a crucial role in inspiring and motivating your team members to become more driven.
6 KEYS OF INSPIRATIONAL LEADERSHIP:
- Goals. To motivate and inspire your team, they should know and understand what they are working towards. Make sure your employees understand the vision and goals of the business, as well as any team-specific objectives. Alignment around goals encourages teams to work better together to achieve results. Help your team members to see not only the big picture, but to understand how their individual efforts contribute towards business objectives. Work personally with each employee to define their roles and set their goals. This will give them the opportunity to reflect on their strengths and determine how they’d like to improve and grow. Giving your team a sense of purpose and helping them with the steps they need to take to achieve that purpose can be a great motivator. Tips for setting goals here.
- Communication. Team members are more motivated when there is a positive, open flow of communication. Be sure to check-in regularly with your team and give them opportunities to come and talk to you. Share your thoughts and plans, and listen to their ideas, opinions, and feedback. Ensure the lines of communication are open not only with you, but within the team so that they can communicate with each other to better work together. Enhanced communication will allow your team to feel that they are heard, and to feel more involved in the business, which will further motivate them. Ideas for becoming a better communicator here.
- Teamwork. Successful teamwork involves everyone working together cohesively towards a collective goal. When teams are connected, mutual support and trust are the most important values. Connected teams communicate better with one another. They are more collaborative and supportive of one another. They are more productive and efficient. They are more likely to work together effectively to achieve common goals. As their leader and coach, do your best to create and maintain a powerful team spirit. Help your team become more tightly aligned by holding team-building activities and opportunities for your team members to bond with each other and with you. Consider team coaching to strengthen the bonds within your team.
- Recognition. Recognizing and applauding achievement can be a great source of motivation. When employees achieve results, put in extra effort, do outstanding work, go above and beyond the call of duty, be sure to acknowledge them. A little encouragement goes a long way to helping team members believe in themselves and recognize their own potential. Recognition can come in the form of heartfelt thanks, shout-outs, opportunities to work on new projects, peer-to-peer recognition, personal or professional development opportunities, monetary rewards or perks, and more. When employees feel recognized and valued, it contributes to a positive company culture which engenders further motivation.
- Environment. Company culture and work environment can be powerful motivators. An environment where employees are trusted, empowered, and valued can not only motivate, but can help employees thrive. Carefully evaluate the culture and environment in which your team works, whether it be in a physical space or a virtual one. Talk to your team and determine together what components of the work environment are important and necessary to accomplish your best work. Does the current work environment and culture foster enthusiasm, physical and mental health, creativity, autonomy, diversity, inclusion, collaboration, and teamwork? What components are missing and what could be improved? Help understand the ingredients needed for the special sauce that will enable your team to work in an environment that motivates them and provides the greatest chance for success.
- Development. To motivate and inspire your team to achieve results, provide your employees with opportunities for growth and development. These opportunities can come in the form of mentoring, additional training, and professional development programs. Successful professional development programs enable employees to develop critical knowledge, skills, and mindsets for executing strategic priorities. By developing your high-potential and high-performing team members, they become not only more motivated, but also better prepared to meet future challenges and opportunities. Learn more about leadership development programs here.
Motivation is an essential part of any workplace. Exceptional leaders strive to motivate and inspire their team members to achieve operational excellence. If you need advice or guidance to help motivate your team, Catapult can help. Contact us todayReturn to all posts